Thursday, January 22, 2009

Kona's First Night

Believe it or not, Kona was great last night! I think maybe staying overnight at the vet a day or two (I'm not sure if he was dropped off on Monday or Tuesday for his Tuesday morning surgery) got him a little used to sleeping alone in a crate instead of with his mom and littermates. We went to bed around 11 and he barked and whined for about 10 minutes then fell asleep. I actually got nervous that he calmed down so quickly and snuck back into the kitchen to make sure he was still breathing!! At 12:30, he woke up, barked and whined a bit and fell right back asleep. I woke up at 3:00 and couldn't fall back asleep, so when he started in again around 4:00, I got up with him and let him outside and played with him until about 5:00. Then he went back in the crate and whined on and off until 7:20 when I got up. I was really surprised he did so well, because yesterday afternoon I put him in the crate for 30 minutes to introduce him to it and he whined and barked his ever lovin' daylights out. Combined with Wake Forest losing to VA Tech and UNC beating Clemson easily, it was a great night. Also good, he has had 0 accidents in his crate, which makes me very hopeful about housebreaking going smoothly. Especially since he's been in the crate for up to 5 hours. That's a long time to make it.

So far so good! We're really enjoying having him here. I'll keep updating with details and pictures until you all are bored to tears of dog stories :)






Snoozing on my shoe during the UNC game. He laid there for pretty much the entire game.

Look how big his collar is. Haha...here's hoping he'll grow into it! Right now he despises the thing with the kind of hatred usually reserved for people who have caused you great harm. I thought something was wrong with him yesterday because his back leg didn't look right when he ran. Then I realized it was because he was trying to run and scratch at his collar at the same time. Silly thing.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness Tara! He is just too cute! I'm glad he did well getting through the night! I wish I could come visit you and see him in person! You'll just have to bring him if you come to visit me! :) Love ya!

Anonymous said...

haha, by the way I JUST noticed the two photo albums you have on the blog!

Tara said...

Don't feel too bad, because I just added those yesterday :)

Cyndee said...

YAY! Hopefully, he'll just keep doing better and better every night.:-)
I have a feeling that comment about him "hopefully growing into his collar," is going to become a family joke someday!

Stephanie and Chris Hunnicutt said...

He is so adorable! I love the freckles. You are so lucky to have a puppy. I have been battling Chris for years to get a dog, no success! I guess I'll get a baby instead=)

Anonymous said...

He's just too darn cute!
Love, Aunt Linda :-)

Shannon said...

He's so cute! You are going to bring him to Wisconsin right? He and Dawkin will have a blast! I can't wait to meet him (although I know he'll be so much bigger:) Can you put a video of him up so we can see all his puppy cuteness in action?
Love you!
Shannon
PS. the house looks awesome! I love the tables!

grandpa said...

You are a Yankee living in the South. Since Kona also means South and he is southern, he is not named lady, but South. You made a good chose, way to go. Grandma said that the collar works makes him so cute.

A word of warning, don't start to get up with him during your night sleep because he will grow to expect and need it.

The tables look nice let me know when the are finished. I bet they want be before Spring or even summer. Too many games on the weekend for now.